<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Evil and What to Do About It

Excerpt from this posting at the ironically named a badchristian blog...

"Michael at Baalam's Ass made a post that got my liberal panties in a twist. (That was a metaphor...I'm a boxer guy.) It's short so I'll copy the post here too:

'After reading and hearing some of the commentaries following the re-election of George W. Bush, I am again reminded that his opponents simply do not want to believe that evil is real. Whatever it is--gay marriage, the war in Iraq, or terrorism--they simply do not want to believe in the presence of evil in this world. And so when you have President Bush actually trying to do something about that evil, people are just upset.'


Michael is right about one thing, people are upset. A record number of people voted for John Kerry. In any other election in this nation's history, John Kerry would've won a landslide victory. A short aside, that's why this 'mandate' talk from the Republican HQ seems so offensive to folk like me. We've heard again and again how GWB got a larger margin of voters than ever! He did. All because more voters than ever turned out. It's time for the spin-meisters to go home for a long needed rest (or to give the country a long needed rest, I'm not sure which.)

Anyway, Michael's post. I would like to say that

1) I believe that evil exists.
2)I believe that evil is much bigger than that selective list of Michael's
3)I believe that John Kerry had a viable solution to evils that GWB did not have a solution to...that's why I voted for him.

For some reason, this post just strikes me very wrong. I find it arrogant. In the comments below this post, Michael conceeded that he also felt that world hunger, social justice causes, the environment, etc, were evil. That said, John Kerry ran on a platform that he would try to solve some of these domestic problems. Michael probably voted for GWB, I don't know, but I suspect it. His 'evil hierarchy' probably goes something like this: abortion, gay-marriage, terrorism at the top. I have no problem with this. Believe what you like.

Yes, Michael, you should have voted for GWB if this is what your hierarchy looks like. BUT, just because my hierarchy is similar to my friend Matt's hierarchy it is painfully bad logic to assume that I don't believe in evil because we don't share issues of importance.

I bring this up because I know that folks like Michael aren't alone. His voice is a representative voice. Many are out there who believe that the moral issues are the three cited by Michael (coincidentally, the same three cited by the Republican administration and orchestrated by Karl Rove.)

If you wish, you may mark this day, I'm about to go on the record with a shocker.
I believe that President Bush believes that he is dealing with the problem of evil.
I believe that he thinks he is in the right.
I believe that he believes his solutions will be successful.

What I do not believe however, is that he's right."

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment Permalink