<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

What Kind of Christian Am I, Anyway?

Excerpts from a Blog entry at I am a Christian too....

"In the Agora has a post about this blog...The title of the post is “Liberal Christian Blog", which got me thinking: am I a liberal Christian?

I don’t particularly object to the label itself, but in some respects I’m religiously conservative. I believe the New Testament (minus Revelation) pretty much describes events as they happened. I don’t believe in a “historical” Jesus that is different from the “religious” Jesus. I like the Apostles and Nicene Creeds. I don’t believe that all non-Christians are going to hell, but I do think that Christianity has something unique, a gospel of grace, that everyone should experience. I like liturgy.

As friend-of-the-blog Pastor Tony said so eloquently:

'I am a social liberal because I am a Biblical conservative. I take God at his word and liberally apply it to this world which belongs to God, not a government and not a religion, to God! My conservative approach to Scripture convinces me that we are all God’s guests here and it’s time for all Christians to begin to act like it.'

So what am I? If liberal or progressive Christianity implies a universalist view towards religion and an agnosticism towards the divinity of Jesus, then the label doesn’t fit. I am certainly not a conservative Christian. Historically I would be considered an evangelical Christian, but that label has been co-opted by the Christian right. Moderate Christian sounds like someone that believes, but not too much, lest they overdo it. We speak of mainline Protestant denominations, so am I a mainline Christian? Makes me sound like an intravenous drug user. Mainstream? I’d like to think so, but I’m sure evangelical Christians believe that they are the mainstream.

The fact that there is no good label for my flavor of Christianity tells me either that it is held by a very small number of people, or that it is a large but completely overlooked segment of Christianity. I believe it is the latter."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment Permalink