<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

"Gimme some Truth"

Lennon wrote this as an angry song.
It's meant to be sung in anger, and I'm the first to say although I'm don't see how angry or harsh criticsm really helps move anything forward, I "get" this song very specifically today.

I still believe that being "shrill" doesn't do much. Many of the political voices from both the right and the left that have gone into shrill mode a while ago, have proven to just raise the volume level in an already crazy loud place, and end up doing no one in particular any good.

That said, I must confess, after listening to the State of the Union, and the last Innaugural Speech, that I came away with a strong sense of saddness and anger.

Sadness still reverberating that our nation had the brief window to choose a more sane, better course this last election, and by the slightest of margins we chose to let that window close.

And anger that with the Republican attempts to "reframe" Iraq, could well mean we as a nation haven't learned anything from what we've just gone through.
The message that "See, it was all worth it," leaving us none the wiser, and likely repeat this in places like Iran. "As a dog returns to it's own vomit, so a fool repeats his folly."

The reframing Bush's plan for Social Security as "reform," versus it's true form as "privatization" and the Government really begining to abdicate the roll of providing care for our elderly. And the desire for "legal tort reform," which is hard to see how it means anything other than protecting Big Business from having to be responsible legally for the damage that they can cause to real people. I'm angry over how much of the Church has seen it's role as cheering on the Administration uncritically. Abdicating any "prophetic voice," in such a crucial time.

I'm really, really ready to be a voice of counsel and disagreement to this Administration on issues like this. The time for action and planning and reform and loyal opposition is now. But it's going to be a long four years.

In the progressive movement, we will really need each other. And to have each other's back.
And though I think nothing is served from the name calling in Lennon's song, I understand the "sick and tired" angry feelings behind it, and the longing for Truth.


"I’m sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

I’ve had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

I’m sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mama’s little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

I’ve had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth"
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment Permalink