<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

"I am a Christian Too"

In a very positive convergence of two cool progressive Christian blogs, you can read the Faithful Progressive blog's interview with Bob, who blogs at I am a Christian Too...Both very worthy blogs, and Bob's comments in the interview ring so true to me.

Here are a couple snippets:


"FP: When and why did you start your Blog? What does the phrase 'I am a Christian Too' mean?

Bob: I was completely disillusioned after the 2004 presidential election, not just because Bush won, but because his victory was credited to the Christian vote. The MSM was saying that Christians voted for Bush, and non-believers voted for Kerry. I kept thinking "hey wait, I voted for Kerry, I'm not conservative, and I'm a Christian too!", hence the name of my blog. But it's not just that Christianity and progressive politics are compatible. For me, my Christian faith demands my progressive politics. How can you read the gospels without believing that, as a society, we must do more to care for those in need? This phrase also makes me think of today's "Samaritans" -- the poor, gays, Africans with HIV -- as I imagine them saying "I am a Christian too", or even "I was made in the image of God too."

But the other reason I started the blog is because of a growing desire to be more active in my faith.

We need to organize, and we need to be savvy about how we present our message. I am looking for a way to organize that can give focus to this incipient progressive Christian movement, an organization that is both political and religious, that is outside and cuts across existing denominational lines, to speak for those of us that believe in progressive policies because of our religious beliefs, not despite them. We need to advocate policies in authentic, orthodox Christian language so that we can't be dismissed by the majority of Americans that are theologically orthodox. We need to take the moral high ground, but with a deep humility and respect for those that disagree, or we will be just another group of hate-mongers. We have to be independent of both Republicans and Democrats so we can speak prophetically to both. If we get tied up too tightly with the Democrats, we'll just be another Democratic interest group. And we need to be very visible, in the blogosphere, in the MSM, on talk radio, everywhere. We should never allow another politically conservative Christian presume to speak for all Christians again.

Ultimately what we can all do is to evangelize by letting our friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances know that we care for the Samaritans and the weak among us because we are Christians, and that these are our Christian values."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment Permalink