<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

A Bridge Not a Wedge

Jim Wallis in the DallasNews.com interview:

"I believe God cares about our public life. I don't think God is in the pocket of one party, nor the pocket of one nation. I want to bring my faith to politics, but I'm not a theocrat, I'm a democrat, small d.

A few weeks ago, Pat Robertson said the federal judiciary is a greater threat to America than al-Qaeda, only Christians and maybe a few Jews should be judges, and all Muslims want to kill all of us. Incredible. So I'm just embarrassed by that. The next day, The New York Times and the secular cultural elites rise up and say: "There you have it, that's religion. Those evangelicals are all jihadists and theocrats." Lewis Lapham in his Harper's column – the worst editorial column I've seen on religion in years – said religion is all bloody, all bad, all Inquisitions, all the time.

Most Christians say: "Wait a minute, I don't see myself in this debate. I don't see myself in Pat Robertson's words, but neither in the words of a Maureen Dowd or a Lewis Lapham. I don't see myself with the religious fundamentalists, nor with the secular fundamentalists that hate all things religious."

Religion is supposed to be a bridge, not a wedge, to bring us together across dividing lines – cultural, political, even red and blue dividing lines. Left and right are not religious categories. We ought to be able to critique both left and right from a consistent moral ground. I like what one professor at Calvin [College] said: We're not right wing, we're not left wing. Our faith trumps ideology."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6/30/2005 03:40:00 AM

Now that is a good post, very well written, great points. I have been looking for your blog. If you visit mine, you will see that I frequent Christian, libertarian, and more conservative pages. I was looking for a more moderate source to balance out opinions and to try and see things from a progressive standpoint. This post has all that.    



6/30/2005 02:32:00 PM

Thanks Lynn, glad you liked, I will definately check out your blog...    



» Post a Comment Permalink