<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9619367\x26blogName\x3dTalkingDonkeys\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://talkingdonkeys.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3978450256514867916', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Jesus's Reputation

Blog or Website
Interesting reaction from Patti Davis, daughter of Ronald Reagan, on the Robertson assassination comments. Evangelical Christians often talk about being persecuted for Jesus sake, as if it was purely due to our allegiance to Christ that we are suffering this or that from "non-believers." On the contrary -- as this article shows -- it fascinates me to see how often Jesus actually has a pretty good reputation. I'm impressed with how accurately people see His character --even if only in a distant way -- and see it as for lack of better words, as Holy and Good.

On the contrary, I suspect that it is OUR reputation that often causes our own problems with folks when we feel religously persecuted, and most of the time because people see things in us that make them feel like Patti did in this bit: "You know what, Jesus would never do what you are doing!"

"I'm no Biblical scholar but I am absolutely sure that Jesus never suggested assassinating anyone.

When I lived in New York City, I used to give money to a homeless man who stood on the same corner of Columbus Avenue every day, rain or shine. He was never pushy, he was always polite, and I just felt like giving him money. One day, I saw a man in a business suit getting right in this man's face, waving a Bible at him and telling him he was a sinner and he had to accept Jesus and ask forgiveness for his sins. I walked up, gave the homeless man a five and said to the sidewalk preacher, 'You know, Jesus would never do what you're doing.' I walked away quickly before he could hit me with his Bible. And I walked away feeling very sorry for Jesus. People keep doing things in his name that are so un-Christianlike.

Well, if I felt sorry for Jesus then, I feel like weeping for him now. Shouldn't people like Pat Robertson just go start their own religion and leave Jesus out of it?

I found another quote of Robertson's from several years ago. He said that feminism encourages women 'to kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.'

I would respond to this but I have to go boil some eye of newt, lizard tails and pig blood. And I am so behind on my schedule to bring down the bastions of capitalism. I got delayed because I was flirting with this cute girl down the street."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

8/24/2005 05:06:00 AM

Thank you for the commentary. I would appreciate you stopping by my blog and answering the question I posted today in light of Pat Robertson's comments.    



8/24/2005 08:22:00 AM

Good point you made on that article.

I hope that street preacher berating the poor guy knew who was putting him in his place too.    



8/24/2005 10:57:00 AM

Hi Ron and Brstar...

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked the posting...and Ron, happy to check your blog as well...

Tim    



» Post a Comment Permalink